Earth Conscious Film's newest feature film GUTTED seeks to uncover the truth behind the rising mental health epidemic of the developed world. Cutting edge science and transformative stories are leading us towards regenerative health solutions that are direly needed in today's chaotic times. Like no documentary before, GUTTED dives deep into the untold science of the gut-brain axis, the communication network between our brain and our gut (our second brain) which regulates vast areas of human health. Have we been systematically destroying a universe of life inside of us for generations—the very source of our mental wellness, immune system, and ability to thrive as a species? Yes, but there's hope.
Directors Rob Herring and Ryan Wirick with Executive Producer Rosario Dawson as she accepts the Environmental Voice Award for The Need To GROW.
ECF's last feature, The Need To GROW, narrated and Executive Produced by Rosario Dawson, explores the urgent issue of global soil loss, while showcasing game-changing solution innovators and technologies to regenerate our dying soils and heal our broken food system. The Need To GROW has won several Best Doc awards at festivals around North America, and has been seen in over 175 countries.
If we are going to pivot as a species and create a pathway to a regenerative future, where humankind lives in harmony with nature, we must live in harmony with the nature inside of us.
A new film by Rob Herring and Ryan Wirick
1 in 4 US adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder.
• 1 in 5 US adults, and 1 in 20 US children takes a psychiatric drug
• 95% of serotonin (the "feel good" hormone) is produced in the gut
• Gut bacteria outnumber human cells by as much as 10:1
• You have 10 trillion cells with human DNA
• You have 10-100 trillion bacteria in your microbiome
• Roughly 10,000 species of bacteria colonize the gut
• Over 70% of your immune system lives in your gut
• The "second brain" is home to roughly 100 million neurons